Weightlifting Progress Snatch Edition
It was a red letter day for me in Crossfit. I RX'd today's workout, a rare occurrence for me, and had a breakthrough with snatch technique
So at today's weightlifting class with Mark, I he managed to find a way to get me to stop launching the barbell off my hip when I snatch.
I will have to drill this so that I stop automatically doing it the wrong way.
So first we worked on a snatch dead lift and getting the body into the correct position at mid thigh.
Knees out, elbows toward the front, shoulder blades pinched together, chest up.
The drill for me is to do this snatch grip dead lift, then stand up with the barbell at the hip crease. Check that elbows are still forward ( more a cue than actually possible to do) Then I perform a hang, to the knee high pull, remembering to keep the bar close. Then immediately move the bar down to just above my knee and then keeping my arms straight ( this is key because I bend too early as a long time issue), chest leading, snatch either power or squat. For some reason the pattern of doing the high pull reminds me of where I want the bar to be. The result was a solid snatch caught in the hole and felt easy peasy and different than usual.
So I will be doing this drill regularly until I not longer default to launching the blasted thing off my hips.
Oh Happy Day, to find something that I can do on demand as a correct movement. The next stage will be to do a full snatch from the floor this way, then start loading up the bar. I started at 55lb, but it felt so light when I did it right, I think it won't be long before I am up to 75 and more.
So at today's weightlifting class with Mark, I he managed to find a way to get me to stop launching the barbell off my hip when I snatch.
I will have to drill this so that I stop automatically doing it the wrong way.
So first we worked on a snatch dead lift and getting the body into the correct position at mid thigh.
Knees out, elbows toward the front, shoulder blades pinched together, chest up.
The drill for me is to do this snatch grip dead lift, then stand up with the barbell at the hip crease. Check that elbows are still forward ( more a cue than actually possible to do) Then I perform a hang, to the knee high pull, remembering to keep the bar close. Then immediately move the bar down to just above my knee and then keeping my arms straight ( this is key because I bend too early as a long time issue), chest leading, snatch either power or squat. For some reason the pattern of doing the high pull reminds me of where I want the bar to be. The result was a solid snatch caught in the hole and felt easy peasy and different than usual.
So I will be doing this drill regularly until I not longer default to launching the blasted thing off my hips.
Oh Happy Day, to find something that I can do on demand as a correct movement. The next stage will be to do a full snatch from the floor this way, then start loading up the bar. I started at 55lb, but it felt so light when I did it right, I think it won't be long before I am up to 75 and more.
Comments
Post a Comment