Just one of those days
Some days, the sleep isn't happening and/or too much barbell work at heavy ( for me) weights and the combo of my most hated movements equals a less than stellar workout.
But this has happened before, when I felt like I couldn't manage my usual weights , scaled the pullups to ring rows and subbed in the low box etc. In the past I would think I had lost my fitness, or that I was at last getting too old and moving backwards. I know now that sometimes we just have an off day. Had I tried to do the workout RX, I would not have been even close to finishing. I was tired and just not feeling it. And that's OK. I got to the gym, I did a lot of work and I didn't injure myself. I call that a win.
I do find myself worrying a little with the competition looming, that I may have such a day then. But then I back up and realize that the previous week included a 60 minute swim on my supposed rest day and tough Saturday long WOD, with a previously unused heavy weight ( Holleyman with 105lb power clean). Then 5 RM back squat and unbroken OHS and 100% effort on the bike ERG in the beginning of the week. Yeah my legs were toast.
I don't plan to abuse my body just before competition, so hopefully I can hang in there.
Dietary update: Still hoping to see some improvement in my pull ups. 18 days on low carb, no booze, no sugar, and 3 days of full on Keto. I am giving this a real proper try and see if I can reap some of the benefits I've read about. Effortless ( kind of ) weight loss, increased energy and improvement of digestive issues, due to less carbs and fibre.
So far I feel about the same, but not super hungry or craving sweets. This is a good thing. I even bought my pregnant daughter chocolate and none for myself. Not sure I could have done that a month ago. Small victories.
But this has happened before, when I felt like I couldn't manage my usual weights , scaled the pullups to ring rows and subbed in the low box etc. In the past I would think I had lost my fitness, or that I was at last getting too old and moving backwards. I know now that sometimes we just have an off day. Had I tried to do the workout RX, I would not have been even close to finishing. I was tired and just not feeling it. And that's OK. I got to the gym, I did a lot of work and I didn't injure myself. I call that a win.
I do find myself worrying a little with the competition looming, that I may have such a day then. But then I back up and realize that the previous week included a 60 minute swim on my supposed rest day and tough Saturday long WOD, with a previously unused heavy weight ( Holleyman with 105lb power clean). Then 5 RM back squat and unbroken OHS and 100% effort on the bike ERG in the beginning of the week. Yeah my legs were toast.
I don't plan to abuse my body just before competition, so hopefully I can hang in there.
Dietary update: Still hoping to see some improvement in my pull ups. 18 days on low carb, no booze, no sugar, and 3 days of full on Keto. I am giving this a real proper try and see if I can reap some of the benefits I've read about. Effortless ( kind of ) weight loss, increased energy and improvement of digestive issues, due to less carbs and fibre.
So far I feel about the same, but not super hungry or craving sweets. This is a good thing. I even bought my pregnant daughter chocolate and none for myself. Not sure I could have done that a month ago. Small victories.
Comments
Post a Comment